Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sharing conversion

Good morning all,
Paul continues his defense this morning by telling the story of how he went from persecuting the church to helping it to spread. We've seen Paul tell this story several different times in Acts, because it is the foundation of his ministry as an apostle. Jesus appeared to him in a bright light and called him to be the apostle to the gentiles. This story tells Paul's listeners a lot about Paul. His hope is that people will see that he shares their beliefs and even shared the zeal to persecute the church before God changed his mind. That will help them understand that the Way of Jesus isn't something new and twisted, but is what God promised to do through the Law and the prophets.

God talks to us in many different ways, but God's presence is what gives us power for ministry. Most of us haven't had an experience of God like Paul did. For many of us we have to practice listening to hear God's voice because it is a quiet voice wedged in among many others. Some of us experience God most clearly in community, in service and fellowship with others. Some experience God best outside in the beauty of creation. Others find God in scripture or in song. Wherever we find God it's important for us to make time to be open so God can lead us. God didn't stop speaking when the last book of the Bible was finished, and God still has plans for each of us if we seek that quiet voice to hear what they are.

God bles,
Sam


Acts 26:8-18
8Why is it thought incredible by any of you that God raises the dead? 9“Indeed, I myself was convinced that I ought to do many things against the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 10And that is what I did in Jerusalem; with authority received from the chief priests, I not only locked up many of the saints in prison, but I also cast my vote against them when they were being condemned to death. 11By punishing them often in all the synagogues I tried to force them to blaspheme; and since I was so furiously enraged at them, I pursued them even to foreign cities.

12”With this in mind, I was traveling to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests, 13when at midday along the road, your Excellency, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining around me and my companions. 14When we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It hurts you to kick against the goads.’ 15I asked, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ The Lord answered, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. 16But get up and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you to serve and testify to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you. 17I will rescue you from your people and from the Gentiles—to whom I am sending you 18to open their eyes so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.’

No comments:

Post a Comment