Thursday, September 9, 2010

anguish and ministry

Good morning all,
This is a tricky reading because the speaker changes several times. Sometimes it seems the voice is Jeremiah's, other times God's. The words of judgment are not new, but here we see a special glimpse of the pain Jeremiah's ministry caused him. He was often taunted for being the bearer of so much bad news. Here we see that bringing this news was a torment for him even more than for his hearers. We also see that he not only heard the word of the Lord to proclaim but could imagine or even see the disaster to come and had to cope with the fear and pain of conquest even before the time. I certainly don't envy Jeremiah's ministry, but I admire his faithfulness. I pray that we would be able to discern God's word and share it as well.

God bless,
Sam

Jeremiah 4:11-21
11At that time it will be said to this people and to Jerusalem: A hot wind comes from me out of the bare heights in the desert toward my poor people, not to winnow or cleanse— 12a wind too strong for that. Now it is I who speak in judgment against them. 13Look! He comes up like clouds, his chariots like the whirlwind; his horses are swifter than eagles— woe to us, for we are ruined! 14O Jerusalem, wash your heart clean of wickedness so that you may be saved. How long shall your evil schemes lodge within you?

15For a voice declares from Dan and proclaims disaster from Mount Ephraim. 16Tell the nations, “Here they are!” Proclaim against Jerusalem, “Besiegers come from a distant land; they shout against the cities of Judah. 17They have closed in around her like watchers of a field, because she has rebelled against me, says the Lord. 18Your ways and your doings have brought this upon you. This is your doom; how bitter it is! It has reached your very heart.”

19My anguish, my anguish! I writhe in pain! Oh, the walls of my heart! My heart is beating wildly; I cannot keep silent; for I hear the sound of the trumpet, the alarm of war. 20Disaster overtakes disaster, the whole land is laid waste. Suddenly my tents are destroyed, my curtains in a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment