Sunday, September 5, 2010

persuasion and commitment

Good morning friends,
Before we begin I'd like to remind you of a fun giving opportunity. One week from today Chris Braggins and I will run the Rochester Marathon (God willing). We're both interested in helping Laurelton through our run, so if you'd like to support us and the church we invite you to make a donation to Laurelton. You can write a check to Laurelton and mail it to me or to the church (335 Helendale Rd. Rochester, NY 14609) with "marathon" in the memo line. Contribution go to the general budget to help the church with its "running" expenses. Thanks for considering it.

Today's reading from Philemon is fun rhetorically. Notice how Paul says he could command Philemon to send Onesimus back to Paul as a free helper but would rather "suggest" it so that Philemon can do a good deed. Paul really turns up the pressure by mentioning again that he is a prisoner for Jesus. He also offers to repay Philemon for anything he might be owed. He even pulls the old trick of saying he'll "Say nothing about you owing me even you own self." This really is a master work of persuasion.

Our reading from Luke stops me in my tracks every time. Jesus looks at the large crowd gathering around him and seems to worry they don't understand what kind of commitment is involved in following him. He warns them to count the cost, to think seriously about what discipleship demands before they start following. He says a disciple must take up her cross and give up all his possessions. Christian discipleship is not a game; it can change our life, rearrange all our priorities and even lead us to the cross with Jesus. I pray we would take our discipleship seriously and that we would find joy and new life as we follow.


God bless,

Sam


Philemon 8-21

8For this reason, though I am bold enough in Christ to command you to do your duty, 9yet I would rather appeal to you on the basis of love-and I, Paul, do this as an old man, and now also as a prisoner of Christ Jesus. 10I am appealing to you for my child, Onesimus, whose father I have become during my imprisonment. 11Formerly he was useless to you, but now he is indeed useful both to you and to me.



12I am sending him, that is, my own heart, back to you. 13I wanted to keep him with me, so that he might be of service to me in your place during my imprisonment for the gospel; 14but I preferred to do nothing without your consent, in order that your good deed might be voluntary and not something forced. 15Perhaps this is the reason he was separated from you for a while, so that you might have him back forever, 16no longer as a slave but more than a slave, a beloved brother-especially to me but how much more to you, both in the flesh and in the Lord.



17So if you consider me your partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. 18If he has wronged you in any way, or owes you anything, charge that to my account. 19I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand: I will repay it. I say nothing about your owing me even your own self. 20Yes, brother, let me have this benefit from you in the Lord! Refresh my heart in Christ. 21Confident of your obedience, I am writing to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say.



*Luke 14:25-35

25Now large crowds were traveling with him; and he turned and said to them, 26"Whoever comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and even life itself, cannot be my disciple. 27Whoever does not carry the cross and follow me cannot be my disciple. 28For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? 29Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him, 30saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'



31Or what king, going out to wage war against another king, will not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to oppose the one who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32If he cannot, then, while the other is still far away, he sends a delegation and asks for the terms of peace. 33So therefore, none of you can become my disciple if you do not give up all your possessions. 34“Salt is good; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? 35It is fit neither for the soil nor for the manure pile; they throw it away. Let anyone with ears to hear listen!”

No comments:

Post a Comment