Friday, September 3, 2010

warning and prayer

Good morning sisters and brothers,
Today we basically hear Jeremiah in prayer. We see both his trust in God and a glimpse of the hardship he faced. Jeremiah struggled with his identity as a prophet, called to speak the word of God. That was often not a word that was welcome and sometimes Jeremiah didn't want to do it, but he couldn't escape his calling. He also dealt with persecution from friends and from the authorities, both religious and political. His calling was a difficult one, which explains the harshness of his words in this passage.

We hear Jeremiah relaying an accusation of not preaching the word of the Lord and Jeremiah defends himself. He says he has been a shepherd in God's service but he hasn't "desired the fatal day." That's kind of a weird phrase, but I think it means that he hasn't wished harm on his people, even though he's often warned them of danger ahead. People accused Jeremiah of preaching fear: Jeremiah's response is that he doesn't want harm to come to people, but he does need to give fair warning. I pray we would not turn away from our calling either, even when that takes us where we'd rather not go.

God bless,
Sam

Jeremiah 17:12-18

12O glorious throne, exalted from the beginning, shrine of our sanctuary! 13O hope of Israel! O Lord! All who forsake you shall be put to shame; those who turn away from you shall be recorded in the underworld, for they have forsaken the fountain of living water, the Lord.



14Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved; for you are my praise. 15See how they say to me, “Where is the word of the Lord? Let it come!” 16But I have not run away from being a shepherd in your service, nor have I desired the fatal day. You know what came from my lips; it was before your face. 17Do not become a terror to me; you are my refuge in the day of disaster; 18Let my persecutors be shamed, but do not let me be shamed; let them be dismayed, but do not let me be dismayed; bring on them the day of disaster; destroy them with double destruction!

No comments:

Post a Comment