Thursday, October 21, 2010

hearing in humility

Good morning friends,
First, thanks to everyone who made it out to the Boulevard last night for the opening session of our Back to Basics series. The idea is to have a discussion about faith and scripture that makes no assumptions about what people think or know. The goal is a safe place to engage questions honestly. It's certainly a learning experience for me, but I had a lot of fun. We'll be at the Boulevard (412 Empire Blvd 14609) every Wednesday from 8-10 from now until November 17th. Hope to see you there.

Today's reading brings us back to Psalm 119, a Psalm that explores different sides of thinking about God's word. This passage picks up on humility, partly because it's hard to hear God's word to us if we believe we have all the answers. Humility is the opposite of arrogance and in this passage it comes or is reinforced by a particular experience. The Psalmist talks about being humbled: we don't know what happened, maybe a failure or an economic hardship or a grief? Reflecting back on that experience the Psalmist notices that that experience brought him/her closer to God. Sometimes it is trouble or hardship that reminds us we can't do it all and we need God. That doesn't mean God sends those things on us to do that, but it does mean God can speak to us through trouble if we're willing to listen. I pray we would be open to God's word today.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:65-72

65You have dealt well with your servant, O Lord, according to your word.
66Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments.
67Before I was humbled I went astray, but now I keep your word.
68You are good and do good; teach me your statutes.
69The arrogant smear me with lies, but with my whole heart I keep your precepts.
70Their hearts are fat and gross, but I delight in your law.
71It is good for me that I was humbled, so that I might learn your statutes.
72The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment