Monday, October 18, 2010

nourished by the word

Good morning friends,
We're back to Psalm 119 today after a bit of a break. This section makes me think of Jeremiah or Paul because there is a hint of persecution in the background and the trust that even in the midst of taunting and hardship, God's word offers strength and hope. In particular we can imagine Jeremiah when he's locked up in the palace or Paul locked up but making his appeal to governors and finally the emperor feeling sure they will not be put to shame when they trust in God's commands. Most of the time when we see heroes of the Bible in trouble they draw on a deep knowledge of scripture to keep strong. As we study and read the Bible, it takes root within us and gives us a source of hope and comfort for hard times. The more we spend time with scripture, the stronger our faith will be.

While not directly related to this passage I want to share a blog with you. As many of you know, my brother and his wife are passionate about peace in the Middle East. One of Will's friends, Tiffany, is now in Northern Iraq as part of a Christian Peacemaking Team. I'm hoping Tiffany will come to Laurelton during the winter to share her experience with us. In her blog you will see a powerful faith in action to make peace in a challenging region. I've been moved by what I've read, and I think you will be too. Please keep Tiffany, her team, and all who work for peace and face violence in your prayers.

God bless,
Sam


Psalm 119:41-48

41Let your steadfast love come to me, O Lord, your salvation according to your promise.
42Then I shall have an answer for those who taunt me, for I trust in your word.
43Do not take the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for my hope is in your ordinances.
44I will keep your law continually, forever and ever.
45I shall walk at liberty, for I have sought your precepts.
46I will also speak of your decrees before kings, and shall not be put to shame;
47I find my delight in your commandments, because I love them.
48I revere your commandments, which I love, and I will meditate on your statutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment