Wednesday, October 6, 2010

rooted in the word

Good morning sisters and brothers,
Our Psalm reveals hints of trouble today. The psalmist feels like a stranger in his home and considers princes plotting against him. Sometimes the life of faith can feel like that; sometimes we have a sense that powerful interests are opposed to our faith individually or as a church. It has always been this way from Israel's slavery in Egypt to Christ's persecution and the persecution of the early church. Sometimes our hardest opposition comes from times when the world around us is accepting of our faith, at least in words. Acceptance tends to make us complacent and lets us imagine that the social order and the gospel have more in common than they really do.

Other times our hardest opposition is within us. We want to follow God's path; we want to meditate on the word, but we let other commitments get in the way. Often our temptations are so subtle we don't notice them as opposition, so we find ourselves gently drifting away from the path God calls us to follow. We pray that God would open our eyes so we can see the wonders of God's law; we pray God would open our hearts to feel a longing for the word; we pray God would open our minds to meditate on God's commandments. Then God's decrees will be our delight and our counselors as we grow strong, rooted in the word. As we talk about meditating on the commandments, I'd like to invite you to supper and scripture at Laurelton tonight and every Wednesday. We begin at 5:30 in Christler Hall with a wonderful supper, and share about an hour of fellowship and discussion of scripture. For the next several weeks we'll be taking a look at the Ten Commandments and how they can guide us today. Dinner is free, but you are welcome to make a donation towards the cost of food. I hope you'll join us and bring a friend.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:17-24

17Deal bountifully with your servant, so that I may live and observe your word.
18Open my eyes, so that I may behold wondrous things out of your law.
19I live as an alien in the land; do not hide your commandments from me.
20My soul is consumed with longing for your ordinances at all times.
21You rebuke the insolent, accursed ones, who wander from your commandments;
22take away from me their scorn and contempt, for I have kept your decrees.
23Even though princes sit plotting against me, your servant will meditate on your statutes.
24Your decrees are my delight, they are my counselors.

No comments:

Post a Comment