Friday, October 29, 2010

voicing our sorrow

Good morning friends,
The Psalms are a great part of the Bible for expressing human emotions: the good, the bad and the ugly. We've heard the psalmist praise God with joy and talk about the comfort of following God. Today we hear the psalmist cry out in lament for the trouble s/he is facing. Many of the Psalms raise similar issues: arrogant or wicked people oppress the psalmist, illness is a constant sorrow, the psalmist looks for comfort in God and is still waiting. Some Psalms are full of anger against God for allowing such terrible things to happen. Most of the time these laments have a foundation in hope and trust in God, but sometimes the grief is too much to see that far ahead. The great thing about psalms of lament is that when we find ourselves full of sorrow or anger these words let us express our feelings honestly. God can handle our grief and anger. God can handle our hurt. And ultimately God will bring us through trouble to a new dawn of joy.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:81-88

81My soul languishes for your salvation; I hope in your word.
82My eyes fail with watching for your promise; I ask, “When will you comfort me?”
83For I have become like a wineskin in the smoke, yet I have not forgotten your statutes.
84How long must your servant endure? When will you judge those who persecute me?
85The arrogant have dug pitfalls for me; they flout your law.
86All your commandments are enduring; I am persecuted without cause; help me!
87They have almost made an end of me on earth; but I have not forsaken your precepts.
88In your steadfast love spare my life, so that I may keep the decrees of your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment