Monday, January 24, 2011

gentleness or a stick

Good morning friends,
Tonight there will be a supper and service for Christian unity at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church (553 Humboldt St, Humboldt and Floverton). It should be a great service and a wonderful opportunity to meet our neighboring brothers and sisters in Christ. We all share many of the same ministry challenges, so it helps to work together. Also, as some of you know, my grandmother, Tina Land, died on Friday evening. I'll be flying to Durham, NC for the memorial service on Thursday morning and returning Saturday night. I'll be available by phone or email, but if there's anything you'd like to talk about it would be best to give me a call before then. I'd also appreciate your prayer, especially for my mom, my uncle Everett and my grandmother's honorary daughters Kay and Jody.

Gary commented on one of our recent readings that the feeling of that part of Paul's writing was, "Young Jedi, get your act together or I'll whack you with a stick." That feeling is even more applicable today where Paul actually talks about coming to them with a stick if they aren't careful. Notice that Paul isn't just angry; he's worried about the Corinthian church because he thinks of them as his children in Christ. This was probably the church Paul spent the most time with, so when he hears about arrogance and division there, it breaks his heart. I pray we would imitate Paul's passion for Christ and for the church today.


Blessings,
Sam

1 Corinthians 4:14-21

14I am not writing this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15For though you might have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. 16I appeal to you, then, be imitators of me.


17For this reason I sent you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, to remind you of my ways in Christ Jesus, as I teach them everywhere in every church. 18But some of you, thinking that I am not coming to you, have become arrogant. 19But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the talk of these arrogant people but their power. 20For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power. 21What would you prefer? Am I to come to you with a stick, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?

No comments:

Post a Comment