Monday, March 7, 2011

ending and beginning

Good morning friends,
I'd like to remind you of our Ash Wednesday service on Wednesday evening at 6:30. The service will be simple and will lead us into the season of Lent. I hope to see you there. We'll have a couple of additional activities during Lent also: a book study of The Shack at the Boulevard on Wednesdays from 8-9:30pm (starting not this Wednesday, but the following) and a new members series for which we're still figuring out the details. If you've been worshiping at Laurelton and want to think about becoming an "official" member, this series will be a great opportunity to talk about faith and consider where God is calling you. Let me know if you're interested and we'll get the details nailed down.

Today's reading moves into personal and practical parts of discipleship. Paul urges the Corinthian church to prepare for his arrival by working on the collection for the poor saints in Jerusalem. This collection was an important part of his work with all the gentile churches. It seems like it was a symbol both for Paul and for the Jewish Christian leaders in Jerusalem of the unity of the church. He also writes about his own plans for visiting them in the future. Notice that he leaves things pretty open as he is trying to go where the Spirit leads, not simply following a travel itinerary. This section reminds us of how interconnected the Christian movement was. I pray we keep in mind that we are all working together and would seek to follow Christ's calling today.

God bless,
Sam

1 Corinthians 16:1-12

Now concerning the collection for the saints: you should follow the directions I gave to the churches of Galatia. 2On the first day of every week, each of you is to put aside and save whatever extra you earn, so that collections need not be taken when I come. 3And when I arrive, I will send any whom you approve with letters to take your gift to Jerusalem. 4If it seems advisable that I should go also, they will accompany me.


5I will visit you after passing through Macedonia—for I intend to pass through Macedonia— 6and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may send me on my way, wherever I go. 7I do not want to see you now just in passing, for I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. 8But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, 9for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries.


10If Timothy comes, see that he has nothing to fear among you, for he is doing the work of the Lord just as I am; 11therefore let no one despise him. Send him on his way in peace, so that he may come to me; for I am expecting him with the brothers. 12Now concerning our brother Apollos, I strongly urged him to visit you with the other brothers, but he was not at all willing to come now. He will come when he has the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment