Friday, March 11, 2011

introducing Romans

Good morning brothers and sisters,
Today we begin reading Paul's Letter to the Romans. Romans is one of the most important letters in the New Testament because it is the clearest and fullest presentation of the gospel from Paul's point of view. While most of his letters were written to churches he had founded to deal with the particular situation there, Romans was written to a church Paul had never visited to introduce his ministry to them. The letter was probably written in 57 CE (AD) from Corinth. It is a challenging letter and one we will all benefit from reading together. While it is challenging, I think you'll also enjoy it and find it inspiring for your faith. I'll also be preaching on Romans for many of the next several weeks. It would be great if you could find a chance in the next week or so to read the whole letter on your own so you'll have a sense for the big picture as we read it slowly together.

One thing that we notice as we read Paul's writing is that he relates everything to the Old Testament. Paul's letters were all written before the Gospels, so Paul hadn't read them. Instead, his experience with Christ was based on his conversion experience on the road to Damascus and his work to fit that experience of God's grace in Jesus with the prophetic promises about the Messiah. Paul basically never refers to Jesus' ministry other than his crucifixion and resurrection. The whole letter is about God's salvation of all people by grace through faith in Christ. Even when we struggle with Paul's writing or our faith, we can always cling to God's amazing love.

Blessings,
Sam

Romans 1:1-15

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, 2which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy scriptures, 3the gospel concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh 4and was declared to be Son of God with power according to the spirit of holiness by resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, 5through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for the sake of his name, 6including yourselves who are called to belong to Jesus Christ, 7To all God’s beloved in Rome, who are called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed throughout the world. 9For God, whom I serve with my spirit by announcing the gospel of his Son, is my witness that without ceasing I remember you always in my prayers, 10asking that by God’s will I may somehow at last succeed in coming to you. 11For I am longing to see you so that I may share with you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— 12or rather so that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine. 13I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as I have among the rest of the Gentiles. 14I am a debtor both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish 15—hence my eagerness to proclaim the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment