Monday, April 11, 2011

Israel's election part 1

Good morning sisters and brothers,
Paul lays the groundwork about salvation by God's grace during the first 8 chapters of Romans. In chapters 9-11 he turns to a problem that troubles him deeply: the salvation of Israel. God chose Israel as God's covenant people long ago, but most Jews didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah. Paul spends these next chapters wrestling with that reality. In our reading for today he takes one approach: not everyone descended from Israel (Jacob) is really an Israelite. He makes this argument with a parallel argument: Abraham received the promise from God, but not all his descendants were part of the covenant. This line of argument is troubling because it opens the possibility of cutting off people from God's covenant. Fortunately, this is not where Paul ends his consideration. The truth is that God's blessings in Jesus extends rather than restricts God's loving covenant.

Blessings on your new week,
Sam


Romans 9:1-13

I am speaking the truth in Christ—I am not lying; my conscience confirms it by the Holy Spirit— 2I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were accursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my own people, my kindred according to the flesh. 4They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; 5to them belong the patriarchs, and from them, according to the flesh, comes the Messiah, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.

6It is not as though the word of God had failed. For not all Israelites truly belong to Israel, 7and not all of Abraham’s children are his true descendants; but “It is through Isaac that descendants shall be named for you.” 8This means that it is not the children of the flesh who are the children of God, but the children of the promise are counted as descendants. 9For this is what the promise said, “About this time I will return and Sarah shall have a son.” 10Nor is that all; something similar happened to Rebecca when she had conceived children by one husband, our ancestor Isaac. 11Even before they had been born or had done anything good or bad (so that God’s purpose of election might continue, 12not by works but by his call) she was told, “The elder shall serve the younger.” 13As it is written, “I have loved Jacob, but I have hated Esau.”

No comments:

Post a Comment