Wednesday, September 28, 2011

confidence in the flesh

Good morning brother and sisters,
As is often the case in Paul's letters, one of the risks he warns the Philippians about is the faction of the early church often called the "circumcision party." One of the most important early conflicts in the church was whether gentiles converting to Christianity had to first become fully Jewish and obey the Law of Moses. At its council in Jerusalem the church decided that this was not necessary, but it seems that some leaders in the church continued to insist on circumcision and Jewish tradition.

Paul writes here that these people are "dogs" and "mutilators of the flesh." He backs up his rejection of this teaching by reminding them that he has followed every kind of Jewish religious obligation, but in Christ has come to see that this is not what counts. He makes the point this way to prevent people from arguing that he rejects circumcision out of ignorance or a desire to be lax. The point for Paul is Christ, everything else comes second.

God bless,
Sam

Philippians 3:1-8

Finally, my brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you is not troublesome to me, and for you it is a safeguard. 2Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of those who mutilate the flesh! 3For it is we who are the circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and boast in Christ Jesus and have no confidence in the flesh— 4even though I, too, have reason for confidence in the flesh.


If anyone else has reason to be confident in the flesh, I have more: 5circumcised on the eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. 7Yet whatever gains I had, these I have come to regard as loss because of Christ. 8More than that, I regard everything as loss because of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and I regard them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment