Thursday, February 2, 2012

meditating on God's law

Good morning friends,
Today's reading is from Psalm 119, the longest Psalm in scripture. The whole Psalm is a mediation on God's law or Torah. We often think about law or commandments as negative, things we have to do. The Psalm reminds us that God's law (also commandments, decrees, ordinances) give life by teaching us the right way to live. This long Psalm is organized in 22 stanzas of 8 lines each. Each stanza begins with a different letter of the Hebrew alphabet in sequence. There are different feelings in the Psalm, but the focus throughout is God's guidance through the Torah. May you find sweetness and blessing in this poem and in God's guidance today.

God bless,

Sam



Psalm 119:24-31
24Your decrees are my delight, they are my counselors.
25My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to your word.
26When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes.
27Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
29Put false ways far from me; and graciously teach me your law.
30I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your ordinances before me.
31I cling to your decrees, O Lord; let me not be put to shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment