Monday, August 12, 2013

going where people are

Good afternoon friends,
First, as you know, our church is led by elders in active service including me, called the session. In the past we've found it helpful for session to read something and discuss it together during our meetings. We're doing that again this year. In the past I've either bought the books for the elders or asked them to buy the books themselves, but this seems to me to put an extra burden on people who are already sharing a lot with the church through a significant time commitment. So I'd love it if other folks in the community would be willing to sponsor a book for an elder. You can either buy the book and bring it to church in the next couple of weeks or just let me know you are willing to help and write me a check/give me the money and I'll order the book. Let me know if you'd like to help; we need 6 more books and each book is about 18 dollars.

Today's reading continues Paul's discussion of the right to support that an apostle has. He writes how important it is for him not to take advantage of his rights so he can proclaim the gospel more freely. To reach the most people we need to be willing to step out of our comfort zone and go where people are.

God bless,
Sam




1 Corinthians 9:12-23
Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. 13Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is sacrificed on the altar? 14In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this so that they may be applied in my case. Indeed, I would rather die than that—no one will deprive me of my ground for boasting! 16If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe betide me if I do not proclaim the gospel! 17For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. 18What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel.

19 For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment