Tuesday, September 10, 2013

a new trial

Good evening friends,
In today's reading Paul is tried before the Roman Governor, Festus. Paul defends himself briefly, and, knowing he won't get a fair trial from the Jewish leaders, he appeals to the Emperor. Until now he has been between the Jewish and Roman worlds, and in some ways he still is, but now his fate is mostly in Roman hands. As we'll see; God isn't finished with Paul yet.

God bless,
Sam




Acts 25:6-12

6 After he had stayed among them for not more than eight or ten days, he went down to Caesarea; the next day he took his seat on the tribunal and ordered Paul to be brought.
7When he arrived, the Jews who had gone down from Jerusalem surrounded him, bringing many serious charges against him, which they could not prove. 8Paul said in his defence, ‘I have in no way committed an offence against the law of the Jews, or against the temple, or against the emperor.’

9But Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favour, asked Paul, ‘Do you wish to go up to Jerusalem and be tried there before me on these charges?’ 10Paul said, ‘I am appealing to the emperor’s tribunal; this is where I should be tried. I have done no wrong to the Jews, as you very well know. 11Now if I am in the wrong and have committed something for which I deserve to die, I am not trying to escape death; but if there is nothing to their charges against me, no one can turn me over to them. I appeal to the emperor.’ 12Then Festus, after he had conferred with his council, replied, ‘You have appealed to the emperor; to the emperor you will go.’

No comments:

Post a Comment