Thursday, February 11, 2010

of first importance

Good morning all,
Today we begin Paul's discussion of the resurrection of the dead. Every week we confess our faith in the resurrection of the dead, but we don't often give it much thought and when we do, it probably makes us a bit uncomfortable. This chapter is the clearest explanation of what the church teaches about the resurrection and it's a powerful chapter. Expect to be challenged and uplifted.

Paul begins his discussion with what he says is "of first importance": that Jesus died for our sins and was raised from the dead appearing to many witnesses. Paul includes himself as a witness to the resurrection, even though his encounter with Christ was well after Christ ascended into heaven. That's a good reminder that we can still experience the risen Christ today. The resurrection of Jesus is the foundation of Paul's ministry and of the church's faith and power, so it continues to be of first importance. I love how Paul uses his own faults as an example of what God can do to change and empower us for ministry.
God bless you in whatever ministry you do today,
Sam


1 Corinthians 15:1-11

Now I would remind you, brothers and sisters, of the good news that I proclaimed to you, which you in turn received, in which also you stand, 2through which also you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message that I proclaimed to you—unless you have come to believe in vain. 3For I handed on to you as of first importance what I in turn had received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures, 4and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the scriptures, 5and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have died. 7Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.



8Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. 9For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them—though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. 11Whether then it was I or they, so we proclaim and so you have come to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment