Friday, April 30, 2010

retelling his conversion

Good morning friends,
As Paul continues his defense to the Jewish people who had tried to beat him to death, he tells the story of his conversion, since it is the basis for his ministry after that. Even hearing this story for the third time like we are it is still amazing. God chose a man who was rabidly persecuting the church to be the greatest evangelist, and an evangelist to the gentiles at that. God directed each part of the story as Paul saw the light, was led into Damascus, instructed and baptized by Ananias and began his ministry. God used Paul's gifts in a new way: he used his extensive knowledge of scripture and tradition to be convincing in the synagogues and to those who didn't know anything about God, and he used his knowledge of Greek language and culture to spread the message further than it had gone before.

It's worth noting that Paul, like the other apostles, has this direct experience of the risen Christ. Paul never knew Jesus before his death and he didn't see him before his ascension like the others had. But Paul heard Jesus on the road to Damascus, in prayer later in Jerusalem and throughout his ministry. As Ananias says, Paul was chosen to see the Righteous One and hear his voice. Our experiences with Christ now can be as real as Paul's even though we were not there to see him walking on the earth. We see Christ in prayer and in our ministry to others. That experience of knowing Christ forms the basis for our own witness in the world.

May God use your gifts in an exciting way today,
Sam


Acts 22:6-21
6“While I was on my way and approaching Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone about me. 7I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?’ 8I answered, ‘Who are you, Lord?’ Then he said to me, ‘I am Jesus of Nazareth whom you are persecuting.’ 9Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me. 10I asked, ‘What am I to do, Lord?’ The Lord said to me, ‘Get up and go to Damascus; there you will be told everything that has been assigned to you to do.’ 11Since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, those who were with me took my hand and led me to Damascus.

12“A certain Ananias, who was a devout man according to the law and well spoken of by all the Jews living there, 13came to me; and standing beside me, he said, ‘Brother Saul, regain your sight!’ In that very hour I regained my sight and saw him. 14Then he said, ‘The God of our ancestors has chosen you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear his own voice; 15for you will be his witness to all the world of what you have seen and heard. 16And now why do you delay? Get up, be baptized, and have your sins washed away, calling on his name.’

17“After I had returned to Jerusalem and while I was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance 18and saw Jesus saying to me, ‘Hurry and get out of Jerusalem quickly, because they will not accept your testimony about me.’ 19And I said, ‘Lord, they themselves know that in every synagogue I imprisoned and beat those who believed in you. 20And while the blood of your witness Stephen was shed, I myself was standing by, approving and keeping the coats of those who killed him.’ 21Then he said to me, ‘Go, for I will send you far away to the Gentiles.’”

No comments:

Post a Comment