Friday, June 3, 2011

preparing for persecution

Good morning sisters and brothers,
I have one quick question, and I hate to bother everyone with it, but my memory isn't helping me out. I'm short two copies of The Shack from the group study pack I borrowed from the Webster Library. If anyone has one of those, it would really help me to have it back.

Today Jesus continues his warning to the disciples that they will be strongly opposed by religious people because of his message. He also says that he didn't give them such clear warnings before because he was with them. He's really preparing them carefully for a different phase in their lives. They will be guided by the Holy Spirit, but they will have to discern the way forward without him. He sees that this makes them sad, even though they still don't quite understand.

I think often we feel like the disciples do. We wish we just had Jesus around to show us the way. The truth is that while we can look forward to Christ's return, between his words, the Holy Spirit and the community of faith we have all that we need to be faithful. We can trust Jesus, trust ourselves, trust the Spirit and trust the community. Then we can boldly follow Jesus in this challenging world we live in.

Friday blessings,
Sam

John 16:1-6

”I have said these things to you to keep you from stumbling. 2They will put you out of the synagogues. Indeed, an hour is coming when those who kill you will think that by doing so they are offering worship to God. 3And they will do this because they have not known the Father or me. 4But I have said these things to you so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you about them. “I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. 5But now I am going to him who sent me; yet none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ 6But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment