Wednesday, October 26, 2011

strong and courageous

Good morning friends,
It's with sorrow that I share that Scott Fralick's uncle Glen (Carol's brother) died suddenly yesterday morning. Details of the service are still up in the air, but please keep Carol, Scott, Todd and the rest of the family in prayer. I'll let you know more details when I can.

On Sunday we read about Moses' death and how Joshua, his assistant, took on leadership by God's calling. Today we hear God speaking with Joshua and confirming that calling as well as the promise to bring Israel into the Promised Land. God tells Joshua twice to be strong and courageous, and this is something of a refrain in the beginning of this book. The task ahead is challenging, but God is with them. What do you need God's strength and courage for this week?

Blessings,
Sam


Joshua 1:1-9
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant, saying, 2“My servant Moses is dead. Now proceed to cross the Jordan, you and all this people, into the land that I am giving to them, to the Israelites. 3Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, as I promised to Moses. 4From the wilderness and the Lebanon as far as the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, to the Great Sea in the west shall be your territory. 5No one shall be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not fail you or forsake you. 6Be strong and courageous; for you shall put this people in possession of the land that I swore to their ancestors to give them.

7Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to act in accordance with all the law that my servant Moses commanded you; do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, so that you may be successful wherever you go. 8This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth; you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to act in accordance with all that is written in it. For then you shall make your way prosperous, and then you shall be successful. 9I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment