Wednesday, September 5, 2012

images of jealousy

Good morning brothers and sisters,
I'd like to remind you of two events that may be of interest to you. The first is an evening discussion about the state of our schools and what we can do to help. The event will include dinner and take place beginning at 5:45 on Monday, September 24 at Downtown Presbyterian Church. Let me know if you can attend; it will be a great chance to get to know others in the area who also want to support our kids in education. On Saturday, September 29th beginning at 8am at the East Henrietta Road Church of Christ (right by the expressway and Strong Hospital) there will be a seminar on trauma and violence in the community, including sessions on gangs, bullying and organ donation. Again, let me know if you're interested.

Today's reading is from the Prophet Ezekiel. God takes him to the temple to show him that some of the leaders of Judah are worshiping other gods and leading Judah into sin. Ezekiel can be tough to read because of the strange word choices. In this case he talks about an "image of jealousy," by which he means an idol set up in the temple. God calls us to follow; we often turn away, but God will always welcome us back.


God bless,

Sam



Ezekiel 8:1-6
In the sixth year, in the sixth month, on the fifth day of the month, as I sat in my house, with the elders of Judah sitting before me, the hand of the Lord God fell upon me there. 2I looked, and there was a figure that looked like a human being; below what appeared to be its loins it was fire, and above the loins it was like the appearance of brightness, like gleaming amber.

3It stretched out the form of a hand, and took me by a lock of my head; and the spirit lifted me up between earth and heaven, and brought me in visions of God to Jerusalem, to the entrance of the gateway of the inner court that faces north, to the seat of the image of jealousy, which provokes to jealousy. 4And the glory of the God of Israel was there, like the vision that I had seen in the valley.

5Then God said to me, “O mortal, lift up your eyes now in the direction of the north.” So I lifted up my eyes toward the north, and there, north of the altar gate, in the entrance, was this image of jealousy. 6He said to me, “Mortal, do you see what they are doing, the great abominations that the house of Israel are committing here, to drive me far from my sanctuary? Yet you will see still greater abominations.”

No comments:

Post a Comment