Monday, May 10, 2010

on trial again

Good morning friends,
Today we hear Paul make his defense in front of King Agrippa, Queen Bernice and Governor Festus, among others. Paul explains his case in terms of his Jewish faith. For Paul and other Jewish Christians their faith in Christ was a natural growth from Judaism. Non-Christian Jews felt like faith in Jesus was not an extension, but a perversion of Judaism, which is why they are so vehement in their opposition.

Paul particularly picks up on the difference between Pharisees and Sadducees, claiming that this is the controversy at issue. For Paul as a Pharisee, belief in the resurrection of the dead comes naturally. So he explains that this belief in the resurrection is what has gotten him into trouble. We've seen him exploit this division before in addressing Jewish critics. We'll see where he takes this argument from here and how he uses this opportunity.

God bless you as the week begins,
Sam


Acts 25:23-26:7
23So on the next day Agrippa and Bernice came with great pomp, and they entered the audience hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. Then Festus gave the order and Paul was brought in. 24And Festus said, “King Agrippa and all here present with us, you see this man about whom the whole Jewish community petitioned me, both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. 25But I found that he had done nothing deserving death; and when he appealed to his Imperial Majesty, I decided to send him. 26But I have nothing definite to write to our sovereign about him. Therefore I have brought him before all of you, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write— 27for it seems to me unreasonable to send a prisoner without indicating the charges against him.”

26Agrippa said to Paul, “You have permission to speak for yourself.” Then Paul stretched out his hand and began to defend himself: 2“I consider myself fortunate that it is before you, King Agrippa, I am to make my defense today against all the accusations of the Jews, 3because you are especially familiar with all the customs and controversies of the Jews; therefore I beg of you to listen to me patiently. 4“All the Jews know my way of life from my youth, a life spent from the beginning among my own people and in Jerusalem.

5They have known for a long time, if they are willing to testify, that I have belonged to the strictest sect of our religion and lived as a Pharisee. 6And now I stand here on trial on account of my hope in the promise made by God to our ancestors, 7a promise that our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly worship day and night. It is for this hope, your Excellency, that I am accused by Jews!

No comments:

Post a Comment