Tuesday, July 19, 2011

more sibling rivalry

Good morning or evening friends,
Today's reading continues our rivalry between Jacob's two wives, Leah and Rachel. Rachel is the favorite wife, but she hasn't been able to have any children. That puts her at a disadvantage and leaves her upset. She takes her maid servant, Bilhah, and encourages Jacob to sleep with her so that she can have children in that way. Jacob's grandmother, Sarah, tried a similar strategy but found herself weakened in comparison to her servant. That doesn't seem to be the case in this story. Rachel has children (Dan and Naphtali) through Bilhah and the competition continues.

God bless,
Sam

Genesis 30:1-13

When Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, she envied her sister; and she said to Jacob, “Give me children, or I shall die!” 2Jacob became very angry with Rachel and said, “Am I in the place of God, who has withheld from you the fruit of the womb?” 3Then she said, “Here is my maid Bilhah; go in to her, that she may bear upon my knees and that I too may have children through her.”



4So she gave him her maid Bilhah as a wife; and Jacob went in to her. 5And Bilhah conceived and bore Jacob a son. 6Then Rachel said, “God has judged me, and has also heard my voice and given me a son”; therefore she named him Dan. 7Rachel’s maid Bilhah conceived again and bore Jacob a second son. 8Then Rachel said, “With mighty wrestlings I have wrestled with my sister, and have prevailed”; so she named him Naphtali. 9When Leah saw that she had ceased bearing children, she took her maid Zilpah and gave her to Jacob as a wife. 10Then Leah’s maid Zilpah bore Jacob a son. 11And Leah said, “Good fortune!” so she named him Gad. 12Leah’s maid Zilpah bore Jacob a second son. 13And Leah said, “Happy am I! For the women will call me happy”; so she named him Asher.

No comments:

Post a Comment