Sunday, April 29, 2012

great commission

Good morning brothers and sisters,
This morning I'm running in the Flower City Half-Marathon and then heading off to a conference/retreat for newer ministers. It's a great conference and I'm grateful to be able to Go. I'll still have access to email, and if you need me, feel free to call. I'll be back in town Thursday evening.

Today's passage is known as the "Great Commission" because in it, Jesus gives the disciples (and thus, the church) their mission for the rest of history. This is still a good way to think about what the church's job is. Not only do we claim Jesus' calling to make disciples and teach to the ends of the earth, we also claim his promise to be with us forever. What a great promise to put our faith in.


God bless,

Sam




Matthew 28:16-20
16Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment