Tuesday, October 19, 2010

the arrogant deride me

Good morning friends,
The psalmist talks about being derided by arrogant people but staying firm in God's law. Often when we think about telling a friend about our faith or inviting someone to church we feel self-conscious and uncomfortable. What is it that we worry about? Are we afraid they will say "no"? We know from inviting people over for dinner or a party that people sometimes say "no" and it doesn't do us any harm. Are we afraid they will be offended by being approached about faith? We know how to talk to people and how to make them comfortable in general, don't we? Are we worried they will think we're religious nuts? If they know us already, they already know we are reasonable people. Would it really be a bad thing if they added to that knowledge the knowledge that we are serious about our faith?

There is a sense in our culture that we don't need God. That's what the psalmist means when he talks about the arrogant who insult him. Like the psalmist, let's be less worried about what arrogant people think of us; we can rest on the strength of God's word. On the other hand, and this is the part we often forget, there are lots of people around us who long for the comfort and joy of faith. People who sense that there is something missing in their lives but don't know how to find it. We have found meaning and strength in our faith. Christ's liberating word of love can free our friends and neighbors from the emptiness of a life spend chasing the wrong goals. We have something wonderful to share.

This Saturday there's an exciting conference in Lima called Voice of the Martyrs. Voice of the Martyrs is an organization that supports Christians in parts of the world where they face persecution for their faith. This is an exciting chance to hear from people who literally risk homes and jobs and their lives to share the good news of God's love in Christ. There's more information in Christler Hall and at this link. I know you'll be inspired and challenged by their stories.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:49-56

49Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.
50This is my comfort in my distress, that your promise gives me life.
51The arrogant utterly deride me, but I do not turn away from your law.
52When I think of your ordinances from of old, I take comfort, O Lord.
53Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked, those who forsake your law.
54Your statutes have been my songs wherever I make my home.
55I remember your name in the night, O Lord, and keep your law.
56This blessing has fallen to me, for I have kept your precepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment