Thursday, October 7, 2010

enlarge my understanding, Lord

Good morning sisters and brothers,
We begin today's reading with the psalmist feeling beaten down, calling out to God from the dust to be revived. We were talking last night about times that we felt close to God and one person noticed feeling closer to God when times are hard or when we're sad. Sometimes God is closest when we are most in need. The truth is that God is always ready to hear us, but we are not always ready to receive God's presence. Sometimes it is hardship or sorrow that opens us up to God.

The psalmist also tells us that s/he has "chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your ordinances before me." We often think about faith in terms of belief, and in some important ways we do choose to believe in God or not, but the Bible talks about faith more in terms of faithfulness. Here the psalmist chooses to be faithful to God and so keeps God's commandments in front of him/her. S/he also notes that through following the commandments, God enlarges his/her understanding. Faith isn't about turning off our brain to doubt, but about opening our brain and heart to what God will teach us. May we be open to God's word and presence in the world today.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:25-32

25My soul clings to the dust; revive me according to your word.
26When I told of my ways, you answered me; teach me your statutes.
27Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28My soul melts away for sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
29Put false ways far from me; and graciously teach me your law.
30I have chosen the way of faithfulness; I set your ordinances before me.
31I cling to your decrees, O Lord; let me not be put to shame.
32I run the way of your commandments, for you enlarge my understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment