Tuesday, October 5, 2010

guarding our way

Good morning friends,
I like the opening question to this section of Psalm 119: How can young people keep their way pure? Put a different way, since purity speaks to me less than integrity or moral strength: How can young people stay on the right path? Reading this right after hearing from Geoff and Sandy Smith from Youth For Christ really speaks to me as their ministry is very much about helping kids find and stay on the right path. The life of faith in general has a lot to do with keeping ourselves and our children on the right path, living the way we know we should.

The answer to that question the psalmist gives is exactly what we would expect: Guarding their way with God's word. We all read the Bible, at least occasionally, but where the Bible usually starts to really come alive is when we think about how scripture fits with our everyday life. Sunday worship is great, but if our faith doesn't impact the way we live the other six days of the week it won't be the powerful, life changing force that it should be. If we read scripture expecting it to help us make decisions and letting it guide us, God will keep us on the right path. Scripture truly can guard our way during the week. In that we will find not only faithfulness to our calling but also delight as we feast on the Word.

God bless,
Sam

Psalm 119:9-16

9How can young people keep their way pure? By guarding it according to your word.
10With my whole heart I seek you; do not let me stray from your commandments.
11I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you.
12Blessed are you, O Lord; teach me your statutes.
13With my lips I declare all the ordinances of your mouth.
14I delight in the way of your decrees as much as in all riches.
15I will meditate on your precepts, and fix my eyes on your ways.
16I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

No comments:

Post a Comment